When the lovely and talented How to Date in Las Vegas nominated me for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award I was just gobsmacked. I appreciate it so very much.
I have never thought of myself as INSPIRING. Not in the least. I tend to think of myself as kind of a hot mess most of the time quite honestly, but as I think about what I could possibly inspire anybody to do, besides stay in college, I am struck by a few surprising thoughts.
I am inspired by strength. My mother joined the Peace Corps after my dad passed away. She had acted as his caregiver for many years. She was in her 50′s at the time. My sister is acting as a caregiver now for her father in law who suffers from ALS. I know so many who are total warriors and just will not surrender to their personal demons. That kind of strength is beautiful.
I am strong. I have healed from a broken heart, both metaphorically and literally. I was in labor for 9 hours with my eldest son. I don’t NEED anybody to complete me. I can honestly say that I have worked very hard on myself for the past several years to become a better person. I am continually working on becoming a better parent. I am vocal about my beliefs. I am not easily bullied. I love hard. I fall harder. I get right back up. I veered into cheese-land with that last bit, but the other stuff was really good.
Whatever the reason, I am thrilled to be nominated for this award. If you take away one thing from this post I hope I have inspired you to start using the word “gobsmacked.”
Here are the rules of the award:
1.) Display the award logo on your blog.
2.) Link back to the person who nominated you.
3.) State 7 things about yourself.
4.) Nominate 15 bloggers for this award.
5.) Notify those bloggers of the nomination by linking to one of their specific posts so that they get notified by ping back.
7 Things you MUST know about me if we’re going to be BFF’s
1. My two boys are so scary funny and smart that it really freaks me out sometimes.
2. I am rather obsessed with Zach Galifianakis. If you have not seen Live at the Purple Onion then you have not seen Zach Galifianakis. Don’t call yourself a fan and then come at me with “oh he’s so good in The Hangover” because I will give you the glaring of a life time and you will be shunned. SHUNNED.
3. I used to wrap a towel around my head and tie my ankles together and play “mermaid” in my grandmother’s pool. Luckily I didn’t play “drowned at a young age” with stupid shit like that.
4. Love sharks, hate snakes.
5. Sweet and salty combined is my favorite flavor combination. Goobers in hot buttered popcorn FO LIFE.
6. My best friend of almost 30 years died this past October. There will never be another like him and I miss him every day.
7. I feel like if I could just meet Zach Galifianakis we would really hit it off. This is totally not a cop-out because it’s late and I can’t think of an actual 7th thing.
15 Blogs I Nominate
I really like everybody I follow…which is why I follow them I would imagine
Help me – help Holly – She wrote a book y’all and when somebody does that I am always inspired.
Hollis Plample – Funny daily comics and I find laughter and talent inspiring.
Ben’s Bitter Blog – So funny and SO BITTER! I am inspired to be MORE bitter when I read this blog.
Naughty Mommys - I followed based on the name alone BUT so glad I did.
Plan B-each - Beauty and inspiration in raw honesty.
HarsH ReaLiTy - This blog cracks me up every single time I read it.
John P. Gavin - An author who wants to help all of us, me included, navigate the murky waters of online dating.
Mitch Being Honest – Another funny, and honest, guy.
100 First Dates – Funny and honest take on dating.
Lola, Elle, and Jezebel Tell All - Three ladies sharing their adventures in dating and love.
And it was Really Awkward - The life of a trans guy and all that entails.
Parenting and Stuff - So many neat ideas and cool things to try…someday.
Beyond Autism Blog - I worked with children with special needs for a few years and all issues regarding children are very close to my heart.
Single Mama Life - Lovely lady, lovely blog.
Radical Acts of Motherhood – I can relate to so much of what she writes.
Raising 5 Kids with Disabilities – Just reading the blog name is exhausting and inspiring.